All About Substitutes at CMP Last Updated: 9/14/2021 7:49 PM


We are very excited that you are interested in subbing with us at CMP! Please see below for answers to commonly asked questions regarding CMP substitutes.


The short answer is by submitting an application on EdJoin. We have different postings for lead teacher subs, classified subs, and long-term subs.

Yes! We need substitutes for lead teachers, teaching assistants, Club M (before and after school), administrative assistants, yard duty, maintenance/custodial, and more! 

We call lead teacher subs "certificated," while we call other substitutes "classified."

In general, you either need a California teaching credential (such as a Multiple Subject credential) or an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit.

The CTC has a great page that describes how to obtain a 30-day permit, but the general process is as follows:

  • Have a bachelor's degree or higher
  • Meet the basic skill requirements, often by passing the CBEST
  • LiveScan to the CTC (this is separate than the LiveScan that will be needed for CMP)
  • Fill out an application
  • Submit the application fee ($100) - The CTC is waiving the fee for first-time issuances, until June 30. 2022!

Please note that the CTC is currently over two months behind in processing the 30-day permits, so please apply early. Also, be aware that the 30-day permits last one year and then can be renewed.

The lead-teacher substitute permit, officially called an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit, is meant for people who are not fully-trained teachers to temporarily fill in for a lead teacher, not for them to take over a classroom for a large portion of the year. Specifically, this permit allows someone to fill in for any single lead-teacher for up to 30 days in a school year.

This means that you could potentially sub every single day of the school year for many different teachers, but only up to 30 days for any one teacher.


Good question! The answer really depends on what position needs the substitute. Please see below for general rates, but contact the HR department for updated amounts and what the rate would be for your particular situation.

  • Lead Teacher Substitute - $140 per day
  • Long-Term Lead Teacher Substitute - $180 per day
  • Teaching Assistant/Club M Substitute - $14-$15 per hour (based on units/degree)
  • Administrative Assistant Substitute - $14-$16 per hour (based on units/degree)
  • Yard Duty/Lunch/Traffic Monitor Substitute - $14 per hour
  • Maintenance/Custodial Substitute - $15 per hour

A long-term lead teacher substitute is a sub that fills in for a lead teacher for more than 30 days. The long-term substitute positions require a Multiple Subject credential; they cannot be covered by someone with a 30-day permit.

A long-term teaching assistant substitute is a sub that covers for a teaching assistant for more than 30 days. They get paid $1 more than for a normal TA sub position, but the extra $1 is only added after you reach day 31 (it is then awarded retroactively).

At the moment, quite often. We have a high need for substitutes across all of our campuses.

Absolutely! Being a substitute is all about flexible scheduling. If you only want to work one day a month, great. If you want to try to work every day but Tuesday, great. You decide when you are available and interested in subbing and then accept jobs that fit within your schedule.

Most definitely! We have six campuses (seven locations) and you can choose which ones you'd be interested in working at. Just be aware that the more campuses you choose, the more job opportunities will come your way. Here are our six campuses:

We do! We are always looking to bulk up our substitute list and thus accept applications for substitutes year-round.



Do you still have questions about subbing at CMP? Please reach out to Jen Rosenberg (certificated subs) at or Sonsie Hopper (classified subs) at